skip navigation

08-31-17 Berwick at Hazleton Post Game Report

By BT, 08/31/17, 1:30PM EDT


Berwick Bulldogs at Hazleton

Post Game Report


Berwick’s 1st game of the season is now past history.  What we know now is Jared Marshman will be out for at least half the season if not longer so the number #1 QB at present is #2 Alex Force.  We also know that the Dawgs came through the game with no major injuries so barring any problems in practice this week Berwick will be healthy for Dallas Friday night.  

The BHS at HAHS game was played on a beautiful Friday night at Harman Geist Stadium in Hazleton and it was not decided until late in the 4th quarter. 

Berwick received the opening kickoff and SO Tegan Wilk returned it 54 yards and Berwick was starting their possession in Hazleton territory.  Unfortunately Berwick could not advance and was forced to punt.  On a bad snap Hazleton was able to take down the punter Alex Sharkuski before he was able to get it off.  Hazleton now had possession in Berwick territory.  Berwick came up strong and they got the ball back and the first period was a defensive struggle until Alex Klinger picked one off at the Hazleton 40 and returned it to the Hazleton 5 yard line.  On the next Owen Shoemaker took a vicious hit and the ball popped into the end zone and to the delight of the Berwick crowd, RG Mike Zalutko pounced on it for the first score.  Ken Marshman came and booted the PAT to give Berwick a 7-0 lead.  Near the end of the first quarter Ken Marshman was called upon again for a FG attempt and he split the uprights for a 10 -0 Berwick lead.

The 2nd quarter was a defensive struggle with both side making key stops to keep TD’s off the board.  Hazleton went on a long march near the end of the half but had to settle for a FG and the teams went into the dressing room with Berwick holding a 10-3 lead.

Hazleton started off with the ball at the start of the 3rd quarter, but the key turning point of the game was a great read and interception Tegan Wilk which put Berwick deep into Hazleton territory.  On a 4th and goal from the run Berwick lined up for a FG but called time out.  They decided to go for the TD and Evan Klinger carried the ball over the end line and with the successful kick by Ken Marshman on the PAT Berwick now held a 17.3 lead and things were looking good.  The Cougars would not go away and with 2:06 left in the 3rd they scored and kicked the PAT to me it a one score game at 17-10.

The turning point of the game came in Berwick’s next drive which took 1:40 and finished with a 31 yd Alex Force to Damon Beckhorn TD pass and Berwick established themselves as the team to beat following Ken Marshman’s PAT which gave Berwick a solid 24-10 lead.

The last quarter both teams played very good defense with both sides unable to negotiate the end zone with Berwick coming away with a fine 24-10 win.